Crippen House

Help Preserve the History of the Peter Crippen House!

Although it is in a serious state of disrepair, the Peter Crippen House property on Creek Road has a tremendous amount to tell us about Huntington’s history. Not only is the house perhaps one of the oldest surviving industrial buildings in the country, it was the home of an early African American community leader and his family for nearly 140 years.

The house is believed to be the first mill building in Huntington, built in 1657 and decommissioned in 1672. It was then moved from Mill Lane to its present location where it was converted to a residence. Two centuries later it was purchased by Peter Crippen, who came to Huntington from Virginia in the 1830s. Crippen was one of the founders of Bethel AME Church, the first African American church in Huntington. His family continued to own the property until 2019. Occupied for four centuries, the property contains a multitude of clues to Huntington’s past.

We invite you to help raise the remaining funds needed to reach our goal. All donations received by October 31st will be matched dollar for dollar up to $10,000!