Fire Fighter Park Bench
Ballast stones filled the holds of ships during the 18th and 19th centuries as they sailed across the Atlantic Ocean from England. These stones were used to keep ships weighted down, which helped to stabilize them as they moved across rough seas. Many of these stones still sit in Cold Spring Harbor. The 1653 Foundation has plans to reclaim these valuable stones to create beautiful benches in Fireman’s Park. Creating these benches will bring these stones full circle, back to dry ground where they can be enjoyed for decades to come by visitors and residents alike.